This is a 2-day intensive programme for government and corporate employees employees who require intermediate English language skills. It is the second part of the 3-part The English Express™ English Programmes.
Overcoming the fear of the English Language
Many participants have poor command of the English language because they have English phobia. Their fear of the English language, trap them in a negative reinforcing cycle that offers no way out.
However, this course helps participants to overcome their fear of the English Language by encouraging them to use the language. By overcoming their fear, participants will begin a new positive reinforcing cycle which will put them on a path which will encourage them to continuously acquire new language skills.
The first major step to overcome the fear is to begin speaking in English regardless of grammatical, pronunciation and vocabulary mistakes.
In The English Express I™, the participants learned to overcome the fear of the English language by making a commitment to use English boldly. In the current programme, they will take another step in this direction. They will learn more advanced grammar and practise speaking in various situations. At the end of the programme, the participants will be able to communicate confidently in English with an improved grasp on the grammar.
This programme employs adult learning techniques which include active learning strategies to facilitate understanding and retention. Participants will spend 80% of the time in individual or group activities which allow them to learn, develop and practise English language skills. A pre-test and a post-test (on grammar) are administered to gauge the participants’ retention. A simple workbook is used to facilitate the programme. The number of participants is limited to 15 to ensure personal attention for each participant.
1. Module 1
- Present Perfect Tense – usage of the verb in the present perfect form e.g. I have visited Singapore.
2. Module 2
- Interacting with Customers – common words and phrases to use in conversation with customers
3. Module 3
- Present Perfect Continuous Tense – usage of the verb in the present perfect continuous form e.g. I have
been dating Angela since 2008.
4. Module 4
- Pronunciation – plosive sounds, the schwa, correcting common errors
5. Module 5
- Past Perfect Tense – usage of the verb in the past perfect form e.g. Ali told me that he had eaten.
6. Module 6
- In the Office – common words and phrases to use in office conversations
7. Module 7
- Past Perfect Continuous Tense – usage of the verb in the past perfect continuous form e.g. You had been
waiting there for more than two hours when she finally arrived.
8. Module 8
- Writing Exercise - Letter responding to customer complaint / An email request and responding to an email